Pages

Wednesday, October 23, 2013

Higher Than A Kite

We've been waiting for the roof structure to be built, and now it's happening.
The work is so important that all the red ladders were being called up.
They stretched as high as they could to help out.
Mr. Crane had to bring in a few extra.  This one sneaked his lunch bucket along.
Not everyone was allowed to help.
Mr. Crane, of course, is invaluable.
Wave to Mike.
Mr. Crane not only lifts the steel up, but he holds it in place until the workmen secure it.
Waffle plating progresses along the annex roof.
Enough people have explained, diagrammed, used hand motions and even moved paper cups around that I'm finally starting to understand what will happen.  A structure of concrete and rebar will be built above these turtle shells, making an enormously strong roof.  When complete, the metal shells will be removed from below.
A beautiful purple flatbed delivered some machinery while I was at the site.
Mr. Engineer-husband says this is heating and air-conditioning equipment.  The new steel tower cap is in the background with the other tower caps.
A pile driver worked on the east side placing steel for a new lift station.  He shook so hard when he worked that my yellow ladder vibrated beneath my sneakers.
I tried to peek inside the tabernacle, but the pile driver is a photo hog.
I will admit that he works fast.  While I was at the site he placed four of these beams, including the one lying behind him.
The base of the tower grew as I walked around the site.  Notice the new slab on the east side of the lot.
The slab has a base of black fabric underneath, with a layer of gravel and French drains above that.  Soon we'll see the waterproof layer placed.
These micropiles were drilled in August.  I'm not sure how they protect them while pouring the slab, but they do.  
The entire south lot is filled with tension micropiles.  These will keep the remnants of Lake Bonneville from pushing the slab up.
Jacobsen crews placed the waterproof layer on the concrete which will be the foundation for the underground foyer.  The foyer is big and will cover the lower level of the area you see in this picture.  Two curved stairways, one on each side, will lead from ground level down to the foyer.  Another layer of concrete will soon protect this waterproof membrane.
The red ladder right of center marks the opening which will lead from the foyer into the temple.  The tower base, even at this early stage, indicates how massive the roof structure will be.
The steel tower cap will sit, not on the base, but on a tower which is yet to be built on the base.
The north side now has multiple entries for the workmen.
More forms are being built in the back of the mechanical shop.  The entire area with concrete columns will be the shop.  The rest of the area on the west side will be underground parking.
The base grew beam by beam while I was at the site.  There were many onlookers, all just as fascinated as I was.
The men worked with ease, as graceful as trapeze artists.
I left the site via the new roundabout at First South.  I have mentioned before that Provo has a master plan for this street.  Ultimately First South will be redesigned to be one lane each way with ample pedestrian walkways on each side.  The promenade will lead from this roundabout to Pioneer Park at Fifth West.  Nu Skin's new conference center, on the right, will be completed by next summer.
Can we even imagine what the tabernacle will look like next summer?

10 comments:

Chad said...

Seeing the honeycomb shapes, I imagine the result will look something like the metro stations in Washington, DC. I can't imagine it will be noticeable.
Also, it looks like the wagon wheel shape in the base of the tower might be there to support a dome in the Celestial room. Do you know anything about that?

Julie Markham said...

I had not given the ceiling of the Celestial room any thought. I will see what I can learn.

Esperanza said...

I was actually going to ask you about the Celestial Room as well. I am wondering if the tower will be open to it, shining light down through the windows. That would be be stunning.

Julie Markham said...

Somewhere along the way I have learned that there is no skylight in the Celestial Room.

Julie Markham said...

I have learned that the structural steel framing in the floor of the tower base will support the suspended framing for the Celestial Room ceiling. There is no skylight, but I have been assured that just the ceiling itself will be spectacular.

David said...

I wonder if the temple cam will soon zoom out so that we will be able to see the steeple being created...

Julie Markham said...

I believe we are all thinking that. I had not realized we wouldn't even be able to see the base of the 5th tower camp.

David said...

If I understand correctly about the turtle shells, you are saying that the re-bar and cement will be above AND between each turtle shell, correct?

Julie Markham said...

I think I was told above and between. I have just come home from the site, and today's pictures only show between. We'll have to keep watching. A new post should go up soon.

David said...

Wahoo! These really are a highlight for many people.