Pages

Friday, April 10, 2015

One Brief Moment

If you are surprised about the new snow on Mt. Timp, please know we'll be drinking that this fall.
The track hoe dropped a jackhammer into this hole near the beehive gate while I watched.
It was the quietest jackhammer I have ever heard.  They might have been killing a spider. 
Progress continues on the post office lot.  You can see this from the construction cam.
I actually started my day here.  With a truck parked at the bus stop, I decided to cross the street.
Good timing on my part, as the truck chose that moment to deliver dirt. 
The temple is always gleaming in the morning light.  I stopped to take a picture.
Wait.  Is that an open window?
How lucky can I be?
Pretty lucky!
I hung around for awhile on the courthouse grounds.
I made friends with some tulips.
I realized I was seeing a window frame lying on the deck.
I wondered how much art glass was in that frame.
I was about to cross the street when I saw the rest of the wood come down.
I could see the stainless steel flashing over the wood I saw Tuesday.
I watched for quite awhile with nothing happening.
I had to make a decision to stay and keep watching, or walk around the site.
I bailed.
I was pretty sure I wouldn't forget to cross the street on my way back around
I probably spent too much time watching geofoam.  ET in the righthand corner is me.  Forms for a new curb along University Avenue are in place, so I was reaching over a jersey wall barrier.
It was a free-for-all in the geofoam pit.
This has transformed from a labyrinth to a glacier field.
Staring doesn't increase my understanding.
Not to mention that machines keep getting in the way.
The dirt truck drove away from the bus stop, so I checked out the north gardens:  New stairs and a beautiful walkway.
A lightning-fast bobcat spread the newly delivered dirt around. 
Trailers have sprung up in the south parking lot.
They came out to enjoy spring.
It took a few tries to get a good picture of the pavilion.
My camera is persistent.
I walked back to the courthouse and could not believe my eyes!
My camera had no doubts and peeked in.
I nearly cried.
Impeccable timing, for sure.
Definitely not just another day at the site.

12 comments:

NiHao said...

I'm a little sad to see the interior woodwork being painted. I was hoping to see the beauty of natural wood.

Katshrnk said...

Wow! Looks great. Can hardly wait to see it inside?

David and Mary Lou said...

Awesome timing! So lucky to see some good interior peeks. Thanks for sharing. I was at the site today, too, and realized that the north and south sidewalks are not mirror images of each other. The north lot has the stairs up to the temple on the outside of the sidewalk arc, while on the south lot, the stairs are on the inside of the sidewalk arch. It may seem like a little detail, but that means that for the south side, the main entrance, the sidewalk can be used as a ramp to be ADA compliant. It also means all those landscaping walls that are so short on the north side have to be quite tall on the south side and the resulting gardens are deeper...so they could plant bigger trees closer to the temple on the south side as a result. The geofoam in that area also has to be taller to reach the taller sidewalk. It seems like a minor deal, but it changes quite a few details as a result.

Julie Markham said...

Ah--I get it now! Wheelchair ramps have been the missing piece of the puzzle for me. I could not figure out why this was so deep. I went back to page 18 of the Daily Herald special article 2 years ago and there is even a diagram of this. Thanks!

Joanie said...

Thank you so very much for your time and efforts to bring us these incredible photos! I love the peeks into MY Temple! I can hardly wait to serve there!

Easy_Going_Dad said...

You did not mention in your blog post, even though I'm pretty sure you already know, but maybe other readers don't. The interior shots you captured are of the second stage instructional room after the first floor instructional rooms but before the Celestial Room. Very exciting photos for sure! NiHao said he's disappointed to see painted wood there instead of natural stained wood. I am confident we will see plenty of stained wood throughout the temple, but white painted wood does make sense for the room we got a peek at thinking about the symbology of the progressive nature of the instructional rooms. I believe a white interior will work well for that room. Also, I love the scroll work we're seeing, with the ivy leaves and all.

Julie Markham said...

Dad, thanks so much for this comment and additional explanation. I have also heard rumors of stained wood in the building. Based on the flowers my camera captured, I am certain the architects have strived to abide faithfully to Victorian design.

Chad said...

I was surprised by the interior images. I didn't think the temple was that far along. I figured painting and that scroll work would be one of the last things completed. But, maybe it's one of the first. I'd bet the floors all need a lot of work though. How much longer until completion? I figured we'd see an Open House next Spring. Maybe we'll get to have it sooner.

Julie Markham said...

I have not heard one word about a completion date. No one was more surprised that I was to see, not just the scroll worK, but the detailed painting! I am working on patience.

Esperanza said...

Have you heard anything about the font?

Julie Markham said...

The last time I asked about the font, it had been poured but the stone had not been placed on it. But they told me the stone is quite beautiful. No sight of the oxen at that time, either. That was last month.

Julie Markham said...

Esperanza, I asked about oxen today, the 15th. Not yet.