Pages

Tuesday, December 2, 2014

A Study in Windows on a Cloudy Day

A cloudy afternoon did not stop me from visiting the site today.
I wanted to see the new windows for myself.  These two windows are under the north gable and will be part of a large sealing room.
I want to teach you a little about what I have learned about these windows.  This is a closeup of the window on the east side of the north gable wall.
This is the west window.  The lack of sun did not help, but my camera did his best.
These two windows are in the south gable wall.  Notice that the north and south gable windows are the same shape and size.  This art glass design is Americanized Victorian and is contemporary with the period the tabernacle was constructed.  
Americanized Victorian is a style of abstracted floral and organic designs representing vines and leaves.  You are seeing an abstract of a lily.  While the windows have the same pattern, each is unique, hand-crafted.  The patterns in the glass vary just a bit from window to window.
These two windows are in the east gable wall.  All I want for Christmas is the scaffolding to come down so we can see these better.
Notice that these windows are narrower than those on the north and south gable walls.  This is the south window in the east gable wall.
This is the north window.  It's difficult to see the design with the scaffolding in the way.
These two windows are in the west gable wall.  I will confess that some of what I learned today came from studying the pictures I took after I got home.  Often that is helpful, but sometimes I wish I had taken a few more pictures.
I did my best to crop a photo of one of these west windows.  I hope you can see that the lily pattern on the east and west sides is similar to the north and south windows.  Our friend Lee Cowan told us  these gable wall windows were installed before Thanksgiving.
I was totally delighted to see a window in the northeast tower this afternoon.
The shape of the tower window matches the niches.
Most of the towers have three windows at this upper level.  You can see two in this photo.  The window on the right faces northwest.  The window at the left faces northeast.
This window in that same tower faces southeast.
The abstract lily in these tower windows is different than the lily in the gable wall windows. 
I had to cross University Avenue to take pictures of the east side.  Two windows on the southeast tower can be seen on each side of the upper niche. 
Maybe this closeup will help.
This window is the one on the left, above.  A third window at this level to the right on the tower, out of view, has also been installed.
Instead of a window, my camera spied a workman in the opening on the southwest tower.
That opening is on the right.  A workman was putting finishing touches on the window on the left.
Three windows are in place on the northwest tower.  You are seeing the southwest window.
The art glass in the tabernacle windows was a little brighter and bolder than what we are seeing here.  Bold was in vogue in 1917 when the original leaded glass windows were installed.  The subdued shades of these new windows are actually more appropriate for a true Victorian style.
This window can be seen from the construction cam.
This third tower window is adjacent to the north wall of the temple.
Two north gable wall windows can be seen in this picture, as well as one tower window, but please notice the work on the planter.
Masons have been placing quartzitic sandstone blocks around the planter for several weeks.  This afternoon the concrete walkways were being finished.
When completed, geofoam will not be visible at all.
By the end of the day, concrete blankets were placed over the work.
Sandstone has been delivered to the west lot for the planters there.
Work on the south lot is quickly changing its appearance.  Waterproofing is almost complete.
The fountain is not growing smaller, but with the geofoam expanding upward, it appears that way.
Someday the plastic enclosing the pavilion will be replaced with beautiful glass.
If you look closely, you can see the sculpting of walkways south of the pavilion.  The black cloth is placed between the geofoam and a layer of dirt, yet to arrive.
Similar sculpting has happened in the west lot.
The planter south of the pavilion seems to be in a growth spurt.
Sculpted geofoam grows around this planter, too.
Geofoam is inside the planter walls.
I captured this picture from the cam so you could see this from a different angle.
Either good news or bad news, but I wasn't in a hurry today at the site.  For me, it worked out well, since I hadn't been there for two weeks.  My eye caught men on the roof.
My camera zoomed in so I could see what they were doing.
It looks like they are waterproofing the edge next to the steeple base.  This is a critical step before the last of the slate can be placed.
My camera found two drains on the steeple base, but there could be more.  This one at the northwest corner is visible from the cam.  This drain comes from the deck of the steeple.
Faithful cam watchers have wondered about the work at the base of the northwest tower.  I believe footings have been poured for stairs.
Similar work is happening at the base of the northeast tower.  The tower doorways will be emergency exits.
Work hasn't started yet at the southeast tower, and I couldn't see the southwest tower base.
A lot of progress has taken place on the wall around the mechanical building.  The new brick is lighter in color only because it hasn't had the mortar cleaned off it yet.
This is a view of that wall from the south.
Cloudy days and snow on Mt. Timp indicate winter is coming.
Perhaps now would be a good time to share a bird picture from my visit to see grandchildren last week.  It was a little warmer in their part of the country than it was in Provo.
I hope you'll enjoy this flower picture, too.

No comments: