Thursday, November 19, 2015

Today and Yesterday

The clouds worked hard to interfere with my pictures today.
Snow on Mt. Timp wasn't interfering enough.
I've been looking through old pictures
I wonder if the driver of the van gave any thought as to what he's parked over.
There was a long period where the north, west and south lots were all dug up.
Watching the placement of a new ground level was quite a process.  This was two years ago.
It's almost mind-boggling today to even think about.
Remember when we worried so much about the tower roofs?
I hope no one has forgotten how much effort went into preserving these.
There was quite a bit of uncertainty about the southwest tower roof, but it was saved.
It looked beautiful this morning.
Removing the original tower roofs was completed soon after the reconstruction began. I took this picture almost exactly three years ago.
The tower roofs remained on the site through the entire construction period, although they were moved around quite a bit.
It wasn't until these roofs were being shingled that I realized there was a big stick in the top of each one.  I actually took this picture without recognizing what I was seeing, but this is in fact original wood from the tabernacle construction.  The workmen saved the three poles that survived the fire.
Original wooden posts are under the southeast, northeast and northwest tower finials.
The northwest tower roof was the last to be placed.  The white beam between the roof and the tower is the support for a dropped light fixture in the tower.
A tremendous amount of work went into keeping the water table out of the temple.
Under everything is a gigantic cereal bowl.  Inside is dry.  Outside doesn't matter so much.
Once the bowl was made, the piers were exposed.
Then, the foundation was poured.
I felt like things started going forward instead of backward once the foundation was completed.
We might not remember there's a large underground space, but it's there.
In fact, it's been there for so long that trees are growing.
The pavilion doesn't rest on the top of the parking garage.  It has its own foundation.
There is more pavilion below ground than above ground, for a total of about 5,000 square feet.
Families of wedding parties and anyone else who might need to wait will be comfortable here.
It looked warm inside this morning.
For a long time the tabernacle was hidden behind scaffolding.
Everyone was happy when it emerged from its shell.
The west gable survived the fire.  The other three gables were pulled in when the roof burned.
These holes in the west gable were from the original gablet.
Now there are four gables again.  Each has a new gablet.
This was a nice touch to the new east gable.
Actually, there are so many nice touches.
The fountain is wonderful.
I am waiting for the statue which will go on this concrete base.  I recently asked about it.
No one has forgotten.
There is still work going on.  A few workmen use the south parking lot.
More park below. 
The sun finally parked itself in the sky.  For a little while.
More snow is in the forecast.
But that's ok.
With a roof and shingles, the temple is ready for anything the weather can deliver.
Or anything else.

1 comment:

Becky Price said...

Thanks for your blog. I love seeing all the work done on the building. How beautiful and unique it is.