Pages

Wednesday, July 31, 2013

The Fourth Tower Cap Will Make It!

I was thrilled to see progress on the southwest tower cap.  This can only be a good sign.
The construction cam showed a crane at the site, and I was hoping it was a foundation pour.
Instead, the west lot was getting some concrete.  A nice bridge has been built over the access to the mechanical tunnel.  Now that the lowest level of the foundation walls has been covered, the working area is more accessible than it ever has been.
This is a view from the cam of that area.  The three slumps on the right are part of a system to collect oil from the parking garage so it doesn't end up in Provo's storm drains.
The final lift of the east side was poured on Monday.  I was impressed today to notice that the foundation follows the vertical ridges of the tabernacle itself.
My camera peered into the basement through the gap under the northeast tower.  
This is the corresponding gap under the southeast tower.  Notice the workman finishing the forms for the final lift on the south side.
The bridge from the south porch into the stairwell is part of the south entrance to the basement.
The south side was a beehive of activity.
Pretty soon the south foundation will receive its final lift. 
The south lot is just as busy as ever, with friendly dump truck drivers coming, going and waving.
As I walked back to my car, I took this photo of Nu Skin's megalith on Second West, which will be an elevator tower when completed.

6 comments:

David said...

Um...I'm sure you've seen this...but THEY ARE TAKING THE PILLARS DOWN!!!!!!!

SO EXCITING!!!

Julie Markham said...

I'm watching it! There is so much stuff right now along University Avenue that my view of where they are working on the piers is blocked to my camera. I'm trying to decide if I should go down anyway.

David said...

Go down!!! Something will happen and you'll get a great shot...somehow!!!! :)

Julie Markham said...

Ok. I need a quick bite of lunch first and then I'll go. Maybe a couple of cookies will hold me. I'll be back in a couple hours with pictures.

David said...

Ha! Depends on the "type" of cookies...... ;)

Julie Markham said...

My homemade cookies have cranberries, oatmeal, nuts and of course chocolate, and they did the job. Thanks for the push -- I ran into an onlooker who knew quite a bit. Not sure my pictures are much good, though, but we'll see. I need an hour or so.