Monday, July 1, 2013

Blazing Hot Work

More concrete was poured this morning in the gully between the tabernacle and the north lot slab.   Fortunately the ladders found a spot where they could stay high and dry.
I was told that this particular cement mix is less expensive than dirt and is being used for fill.  
Fill is apparently an appropriate word -- this photo was taken last week after the first pour.
The horizontal rebar on the left is reaching for the rebar on the right.  If only there were a bridge to help them connect...
All but one of the concrete pillars have emerged from their wooden chrysalises.
The north foundation wall has now been brought into reach without being moved.
Remember, this is not ground level -- it will be the first level of the basement.
With me today was a tall person who is also a rock climber.  He took this picture from University Avenue.  You might notice a few pictures taken from higher vantage points than I can get.  I'll pass along your thanks.  
You are seeing through the tabernacle shell to the southwest tower.  If you have not seen my pictures from last fall of the tabernacle interior, you can scroll back through old posts, or you can click here.  The interior of the tabernacle was given a skeleton of rebar and then covered with shotcrete, which happened before the piers were put in place. The black vertical line in the center of the photo is an electrical cord, easily seen in the previous picture.  
Lots of ladders were at work in the basement today.  I suspect they will work all night again, too.
The Lego men spent time on the south foundation wall today.   
My tall friend and I tried to decide which opening will be the entrance.  We settled on the one with the men hanging around it.
We counted four framed openings along this side.
Mr. Track Hoe worked his magic in the south lot. 
It looks like he's uncovered a buried city, but since there were no archaeologists around, we decided this was just a hard level of dirt.  Remember that the original ground level was at the top of the barrier walls, so if this level we are seeing was anything special, there would have been earlier clues.  At least, that's the opinion of a rock climber and a grandmother.
The barrier walls follow along as the south lot gets deeper.
It was 100 degrees today at the site.  If I had been asked to join in the work, I'd have picked this job -- building a styrofoam wall along the west side.  You are doubting me -- you don't think that's really styrofoam. 
Sometimes you just have to trust me.
This wall is being built between the two underground garages.  My engineer-husband said that styrofoam is an excellent shock absorber.   
All I can say is that there was a lot of it. 
I was delighted to see more work on two of the towers.  I cannot tell for sure which wood is new.
But I do know this wood is old.
Notice the shingles on the side of this tower which haven't been scraped off yet.
A job I would not have picked in today's heat was putting the membrane on the slab in the west lot.
These men are tough!
It looks like it was a hot day, doesn't it?


Chad said...

The styrofoam appears to form a wall between the temple and Nuskin lots. I wonder if this is for soundproofing (shock absorption) or for seismic schlock absorption? Or something else entirely. Do you think they will be there long-term or just durning the construction?

Julie Markham said...

I hadn't thought about seismic shock absorption. I can only guess that it's going to be permanent. I think I should be able to tell as time goes on. My issue was that there was so much of it. I don't know where they are going to put it all.

David said...

Something is afoot on the south side this morning! I see at least three cement trucks ready to go!!!

Julie Markham said...

I have pictures! It takes a couple hours to sort through them and get up a post, but I'll do it during my breakfast. Check back about noon.

Unknown said...

It is Wed. at 8:42am Mountain Daylight Time and 10:42am where I'm at. I just noticed on the webcam that it was still showing 5:30am so I emailed the company and asked them to "unstick" the webcam. This is the 3rd time (not today) I've emailed them. Like many others....I need to get my "fix" on what is happening at the site. It shouldn't be too much longer before the Temple is sitting on the foundation. Thank you soooooo much for doing this blog.

Julie Markham said...

You might have a computer issue, because the cam has worked all morning for me. But no worries, the grandkids are with Grandpa in the mountains and I have just come home from the site with some pictures. Give me 2 hours to get up a post.