Pages

Thursday, October 8, 2015

Nails Under the Lintel Stone

I visited the temple at sunset tonight.
Afterward I attended a lecture at the library given by Ryan Saltzgiver, an expert on the old tabernacle.
The old tabernacle was built first and stood about here on the grounds.
Brother Saltzgiver spoke this past summer at a fireside.  At that time I posted many of his remarks, plus some pictures of the archaeological dig from 2012.
While showing you the pictures I took tonight, I'll share a few things Ryan told us.
Ryan helped with the archaeology of the old tabernacle and said many nails were uncovered.  I know that sounds boring, but give me a minute to explain why this is suddenly not pedestrian at all.
The tidbit I found most interesting was that these nails have been secured in a vault underneath the lintel stone on the temple property.
Many horse and ox shoes were also uncovered, and they are in the vault, too.  And some glass.
However, the most interesting items from the archaeological dig will be on display during the temple open house.  Maybe that is more interesting than the nails.  Yes, for sure.
Ryan reviewed the history of the old tabernacle.  It was dedicated in 1867.
The lintel stone which was above the door of the old tabernacle is now on the temple property, barely shown in this picture in front of the northwest tower.
The old tabernacle, which was in disrepair, was demolished in 1919 at the same time the center tower of the second tabernacle was removed.  Many buildings in Provo used stones and other materials from the old tabernacle.  A bridge on Columbia lane, which unfortunately no longer stands, was built from trusses from the tabernacle.
Ryan told us that the original tabernacle was "Presbyterian style."  The tip of the tower was 81 feet above the ground.  Archaeologists believe they found the finial from the top of the tower, shown in this painting by Samuel Jepperson.
He then showed us a picture of the Kirtland Temple, dedicated in 1836.
He also showed us a picture of the Nauvoo Temple, dedicated in 1846.
The similarities are obvious.
Ryan suggested that Mormons like objects which remind us of our history.
He began the evening by telling us that all of the salvageable objects removed from the second tabernacle after the 2010 fire filled a 10x16 foot trailer.  He mentioned that one of those objects was the pulpit from the tabernacle.  I knew that this pulpit was going to be placed in the chapel of the new temple.
Earlier, while at the site, my camera did his very best to peek in an open north door.
The chapel is behind the white exterior doors.
My eyes could see the art glass through my zoom lens, and that's where I was trying to focus.
When I got home, I saw the top of the pulpit in the lower part of this picture.
Just before the fire, Eva Bingham Persson attended an event in the tabernacle.  I have cropped out the people so we can pay attention to the pulpit.
The pulpit was removed from its base in preparation for a performance which would fill the stage.
The pulpit is heavy.  It took two men to lift it up and out of the base.  They then moved the pulpit, and the accompanying scriptures, to the tabernacle office underneath the west gable.
This action saved the pulpit and the scriptures.  I believe we are seeing the edge of the pulpit on the left of this picture.  The scriptures will also be returned to the temple.
I love open doors.
You might be surprised at how difficult it is to peek in.
When I got home tonight, I revisited my notes I took when I saw the plans filed with the City.
Behind the south doors is a small vestibule with more art glass.
The pattern in the doors is repeated in several of the windows.
The art glass is one of my favorite features in the new temple.
The windows are beautiful any time of day.
The light through the northwest tower came from the setting sun.
Behind this north gable window is a large sealing room.  Lights were on inside.
I stood in the post office lot and reached up so my camera could peek through the base of the iron fence.
Notice the beautiful beehive near the south entrance.
The tabernacle had beehives at its doorways.  This photo was also taken by Sister Persson just before the fire.
Perhaps you already knew that the library has a beehive in front.
The temple, of course, was beautiful tonight.
The pavilion is stunning.
We are only looking at the portion of this structure which is above ground.  A lower level leads to the temple.
The new railing around the steeple deck has been painted.
Someone at the lecture asked about the print of the Savior which had survived the fire.
Ryan told us that conservators were still working with it, but the print would not be on display at the open house.
I have been told that the oxen which will support the baptismal font are now in the temple.
The oxen were lined up in a hall, waiting to be permanently placed.
The baptistery is on the east side of the lower level.  
I didn't learn about the lecture at the library until today.
I will give you a heads up about a lecture which will be given by Dr. Richard Cowan  on October 27th at the library at 7 pm.  Dr. Cowan has published a book titled Provo's Two Temples.
Don't be late.

No comments: