Pages

Friday, September 19, 2014

Steeple, What Else?

I've enjoyed watching the steeple work from the construction cam this week.
The only way to tell from the cam that they were making progress on the south side was to watch the parts disappear.  One is seen in the lower left.
A couple more parts were hidden on the east side, but this has come together fast.
Even with a good imagination, I'm not sure I can yet appreciate how beautiful this will be.
Color from the art glass will put this over the top.
There is something else new.  I spied men working on the northeast tower.  I thought it was complete.
Every Victorian tower needs a water collection system.  This is copper, with bronze hangers.
If I weren't pointing out these beautiful hangers, would you even be noticing them?
This temple has quite a bit of delicate detail.
I checked the progress on the other towers.  The northwest frieze board has been painted.
The southwest frieze board is still being built.
The southeast tower is waiting for its turn.
The pigeons told me to be patient.
Two concrete pumps paid a visit to the south lot early this morning.
The roof over the annex was poured ten months ago.  This last portion of the roof deck is now complete.
It won't be long before this area will be a garden.  Or a snow field.
In the meantime, deliveries are still necessary, such as gravel.
A track hoe waited to spread it out over the driveway.
The lowest level of concrete has already been poured.  Rebar, the green kind, is next.
Machines were making themselves at home on the north lot, too. This guy was working hard on the entrance from University Avenue.
He seemed quite protective of his work even though I had no interest in interfering.
Across the street, another machine worked on the entrance to the courthouse steps, just in case you have wondered why I don't take pictures from there anymore.  You might not be aware that the former steps were recently featured in a music video.
New dirt has been delivered for the north planter.
This planter is big.
I think it looks larger from the ground than it does from the cam.
Covering the geofoam is a work in progress.
I like watching the work along Center Street.  I have confirmed that these are indeed planters and not monuments.
Holes for fence posts are multiplying.
The plans show a circular area surrounded by planters at both north corners.
This fancy hole digger has been busy.  Notice pipes for irrigation on the right.
Everyone is pleased that a few trees from the tabernacle property have been saved.
Good news from this morning's visit is that my camera can see over the new wall.  See the fountain on the right?
I realized that I don't understand how this is going to work.  Why are men walking on rebar where I think the pool will be?
The pavilion received a delivery which remains a mystery.  Forms for the extension of the new wall can be seen along the right of this picture.
A planter will be built on this side of the pavilion.  Matting to go underneath it, just like we have seen on the west and north lots, is in place. 
Because we all know that matting and geofoam go hand in hand.
The sandstone beltcourse above the keystone has been repaired.
A beautiful etched-glass lintel will be at the top of the doorway.  It will welcome temple patrons with the words "Holiness To The Lord."
There will also be a Holiness to the Lord lintel above the underground entrance to the temple, which I couldn't see from where I was standing for this picture, but I tried.
The watercourse along the south side was easier to see today.
This section is on the northeast side of the southeast tower.
This is the west side of the same tower.  When the two sections meet, it will be easy to photograph.
To conclude:  Tremendous progress.
And a little heads-up:  Fall is coming.
But not too quickly.

6 comments:

JayBingham said...

Isn't it wonderful that such exquisite detail goes into things that most of us will never see close enough to notice.

Julie Markham said...

I don't think those bronze hangers would be high on the list of things to show off at the open house, either. But they are beautiful.

Brian said...

I have been watching the tower come together all week. What images in the late afternoon and evening and you can usually see the details better as they cast shadows.

It's nice to see the lintel question is cleared up. Do you know, will the inscription above the south door be a stone marker or etched in glass? (Many small temples have "HOUSE OF THE LORD HOLINESS TO THE LORD" etched in glass above the entry doors.)

The deck is complete! That's a mile marker right there!

The brass and copper is absolutely fantastic. It makes it more evident to see the copper roof trim has dulled since installation. I wonder if it will go green like the roof to the Salt Lake Temple, or just get darker because of some treating.

Also, the fountaon: Keep in mind that the actuall ground level is four or five feet above the concrete slab. From what I saw on the plans, I got the impression that there would be a small pump room under the fountain. I think all we have seen so far has been prepwork for the actual fountain. That rebar you see now should be about the top of the wall for the lowest level of the fountain, which should be 12-24 inches above the new sidewalk that the fountain will sit on.

So, Roof of parking garage, then support structure for the fountain and geofoam, then eventually concrete for the sidewalk. All of that you see should be just for the bottom level of the tiered fountain!

Julie Markham said...

I don't have any details about the lintel above the south doors, but I would like to learn that. I believe the copper will go dark, based on a conversation I had with a man in this field.

We saw the pump room for the fountain go in before the deck was built in that area. I found a link to a post about that: http://newtempleinprovo.blogspot.com/2014/03/steeple-and-slate.html

I am sure you are right about the fountain. Still, it looked kind of high yesterday. Thanks for your input, as always.

dianep said...

I have thoroughly enjoyed your continuous updates on this beautiful temple transformation. I feel a special kinship as my Great Great Grandfather, William Harrison Folsom, was the architect of the tabernacle. Sincerely, Diane Folsom Packham

Julie Markham said...

I am humbled and honored.