Pages

Monday, March 17, 2014

Cloudy Day in March

The concrete pump made his daily stop at the site and poured the roof over the mechanical shop.
Scaffolding for the brick repair is beginning to rise along the west side.
Now that the roof over the entire west side has been poured, waterproofing is underway.
This was fun to watch, not to mention that the men laugh while they work.
Spring has come in like a lion, and the wind is howling out my window as I work on this post.  Yesterday the wind caught the Nu Skin construction barrier near the roundabout and pulled it and the jersey barrier to which it was bolted over.  Fortunately for us, this allowed my camera to peek in.  We are seeing the full height of one of the beams holding up the west roof.
These are the tension cables running east and west throughout this particular beam.  They were pulled last week.
This photo taken before the west lot pour shows the length of a west side beam.  The beam in the previous photo is on the far right of this picture.
I was also able to capture a picture of a water stop.  To my surprise, several blog readers have asked about these, as they have shown up in earlier photos.  These water stops waterproof the concrete joints.
They have been used in the construction of the south entrance, seen here in the foreground.
Workmen were removing the forms from a recent pour as I arrived.  The patron entrance is almost directly in the center of the picture.
I received an unexpected crane tutorial this morning.  The black crane was moving green rebar into place in preparation for another pour later this week.  The new yellow crane is moving a concrete form near a rebar pillar so more of these can be poured.  The large black crane will be moved off the site next month, and the large white crane in the north lot will be dismantled after Moroni is placed.  The new crane, if you are interested, is a 28-ton rough terrain crane.  A 130-ton RT crane will be the new machine on the block in a few weeks.  I'll be sure to watch for him, although I was told he would be impossible to miss.
Our favorite labyrinth area will soon be filled with supports for a concrete roof.  The room in the center of this picture will house a pump for the fountain.
In case you can't imagine a fountain in this area, here is the artist's rendering.
I did manage to find a working fountain this morning.  This sediment tank was moved about 50 feet.
The sidewalk on the right, which used to be for pedestrians along University Avenue, is being revamped into a delivery entrance.
My camera spied into the building again.  If you are thinking the beam in the center is fuzzy, you are correct.  It has been treated with a fire-proof material.
This photo from last September shows a new beam in the tabernacle.  I hope you remember that the vertical beams, some of which support the center steeple, hold the roof in place.  The roof is not supporting the center steeple, it's the other way around.
I also learned that I am not the only one the pigeons have annoyed.  There is actually a pigeon nest inside the tabernacle.  Environmentally-friendly devices will soon be in place to encourage the pigeons to locate elsewhere.  We'll see how that goes.
My camera found this nice, shiny stud on the second level.  Studs have been going in for months and sheet rock is now being hung in the lower levels.
More steel was delivered this morning.
The font, which is on the first lower level on the right, just under the white sheeting on the east side of the building, was poured a few weeks ago.  It's oval-shaped, and I'm told even in its unfinished state, it's beautiful.
The font actually takes up space on two levels.  The font itself is on lower level 1 where patrons will have access, but the oxen will rest their feet on lower level 2.  The floor between the font and the oxen doesn't go all the way to the east wall, so these dirt cages, filled with rocks, were built outside this side of the foundation in January.  
The gap seen here extends along the entire side of the east foundation.  The steel baskets, as they are called, are the same type of construction used in our freeways and are very durable.  They will protect the east wall against any pressure.
Scaffolding is growing around the steeple.
The construction cam caught this workman in place last Friday at noon, testing to see if the cam will be able to see all of Moroni.  Looks like a go!

2 comments:

Unknown said...

I'm getting so excited to see the Angel Moroni go up! I have Irish ancestry and my birthday's in March, so the month is already great. If they get the Angel Moroni up in March as planned it'll be the best way to top off a month of celebration and festivities! :-)

Julie Markham said...

I am anxious for this event, too. However, I am concerned at this point that I am waiting in vain for a public announcement. I'm on my toes, watching for any sign that it's imminent. It would help if I knew what to look for. More scaffolding was not the clue I wanted to see.