Pages

Tuesday, February 12, 2013

Dirt, Dirt and More Dirt

Persistence is the key to excavation.  I guess when they run out of dirt, they'll quit.
This view from the northeast corner shows the activity in the newly excavated basement.
The west side was receiving the most attention today.
Notice that bracing is beginning on the lower portion of the piers.
Watching the actual work is mind-boggling to me.  I can't imagine that excavating this two-level basement has been accomplished under even remotely-close-to-ideal conditions.
It was 31 degrees today.  All that remains of Saturday's ponds is this ice.
This is the ground far below the northwest corner.  Once upon a time this was the bottom of the ancient Lake Bonneville.
This view from the south shows that the level of the basement is relatively consistent now.
I have not seen any trace of the Lego blocks from a week ago.
Please notice our beautiful mountains.  We've had a lot of weather lately which has obscured them.
Sometimes I actually have to remind myself that the tabernacle itself hasn't been raised.
To be honest, I will feel better when this portion of the work is finished and a new foundation is in place.
This machine was quiet while I was at the site, although I believe he's standing over the slurry curtain.  I suspect the shallow trench is related to his job.  A fancy drill rig is 20 feet behind him in the corner.
I'm including this picture of the machine in case somebody wants to have a closer look.
I am going to guess that one day these tower windows will have stained glass in them.  But for right now it's certainly not necessary.

8 comments:

Mike Hugo said...

Amazing pictures. THe tabernacle was in my ward as I was growing up. It's amazing to see the transformation into a temple. Thanks for keeping me conected even though I'm thousands of miles away.

Rachelle said...

WOW!! Thanks for doing this. I too am out of state, but love following along! Love the photos, nice job!!

Unknown said...

I did the gutter and downspouts on the renovation quite a few years ago. I was saddened when it burned, but to see it standing proud even if it requires crutches to do so. Knowing that it will some day serve again in an ever better way. Fills me full of the spirit that will fill it's rooms.

Anonymous said...

Thanks for keeping us updated. This was my Stake Center in the early 90's.

Howie C. Norton said...

My Grandfather John Riley Norton, was the caretaker of the Tabernacle during part of the 60's. He lived in the caretaker's house that was at the west end of the driveway that ran down the north side of the tabernacle. I remember a few times going out to the boiler building's coal room and walking around the top edge shoveling coal into the center where the auger was for the boiler. It was very quiet and peaceful in the tabernacle when we entered it with him to go do some work. The park to the north was the greatest yard to play in anyone had! I spent many hours in the trees seeing how high I could go. We later had the opportunity to go listen to our daughter sing with the BYU Women's Chorus' Winter Choirfest that was held there. I look forward to going to the temple there when it is completed.

Caulfield said...

Please explain the pilings on which the shell now rests -- surely these are not the original foundation. When were they put in place? And what happened to the original foundation? Thanks. This is fascinating.

Julie Markham said...

Scroll back through blog posts to early December, and you will see photos of the new foundation of piers being placed.

Searching for GEARYS said...

My husband received the Higher Priesthood in this Holy Place during the Stake Conference of November, 1998. It was so wonderful! We could have lifted the Tabernacle off the ground with the Spirit!! I am so thankful to see it being recued by the church!