Saturday, March 30, 2013

North, South and West Lots

This is a view of the tabernacle site from the new construction cam.  I can now watch what's going on from home.  While it's just two glimpses per hour, zooming in on places of interest is addicting.  I was intrigued by the grout walls which are clearly visible in this photo.
When I got to the site, I was really surprised at the number of people there.  Lots of people.  Some in suits with corsages.  Families with kids in arms and strollers.  The grout wall is clearly seen on the left side of this photo.  The shadow is from the tabernacle itself.
A moat of water stands along the retaining wall.
I don't think I'd be comfortable using the red ladder to exit the north lot.
The west grout barrier has its own moat.
The basement was completely quiet today except for the noise from a solitary red ladder.  I noticed some new cardboard tubes.
I can guess that the green rods are cemented into each of the 400 micropiles.  The tubes in this picture seem to be filled with cement.
I will suppose that is to be the fate of these tubes, too.
This is a nice view of the tabernacle through the south fence.  The lot has been filled with machinery until this week.
The three pools which were related to the drilling of the micropiles in the basement are now dry.
Although the track hoes in the south lot were quiet today, it was evident that excavation of this lot is beginning. 
Junior Track Hoe worked alone to remove metal bars.
Daddy Track Hoe worked hard this afternoon in his quest to remove the remnants of rebar and cement from the west lot.
His friend worked by his side, behind the NuSkin building.  Lines of dump trucks entered and exited the south lot to receive construction debris from both track hoes.

For the record, watching track hoes scoop cement into dump trucks is no less than Jurassic Park Meets the Sound Barrier.
These black tubes or rolls are onsite in preparation for whatever's coming next.
After watching the trucks and machinery on the west side, I walked back along Second South and then north on University Avenue.  Again I encountered many onlookers.  One man was standing in what I would describe as a precarious position.  Did I caution him?  Lecture him in my best grandmotherly voice?  No.  I handed him my camera.


Chad said...

I noticed with the web cam that you can zoom into an area of interest pretty far, then flip through the previous images to reveal activity in that spot. Also, the images are archived back to January. There is a time-lapse film too!

Julie said...

Great tips, thanks!

Howie C. Norton said...

I have been following your Blog for a couple of months now. Thank you. My Grandfather was the caretaker of the Provo Tabernacle during the 1960's for a few years before he and his wife went on their first mission. They lived in the old house that used to be directly at the West end of the driveway that went down the North side of the Tabernacle. I remember helping him shovel coal in the old coal room in the boiler building that sat to the West behind the Tabernacle. It had an auger feed for the coal and it would slope up to the sides needing to be shoveled from the sides down to the auger occasionally. I have mant fond memories from helping at the Tabernacle and the coal room. My daughter sings in the BYU Women's Chorus and we have enjoyed some wonderful concerts in the Tabernacle before it burned. The photos in this Blog post were very meaningful to me also. The flatbed trailers that hauled the Bigge Crane pieces to the site were rented from the company I own, Trailer Rental Company. Quite a pleasant surprise to see them in your photos. Thank you for the wonderful photo journal of this magnificent piece of history being re-worked for use today.