Pages

Monday, December 24, 2012

Snowy, Quiet Day at the Tabernacle Site

I checked the progress of the foundation work.  It's Christmas Eve Day, so the site was completely quiet.  Snow was falling, but I arrived at the beginning of this beautiful storm.
This is the east face, and it appears the I-beam work through the foundation wall is finished.
I walked to the north to see the foundation progress on this side.  It looks complete, too.
The west side has the same beams, but they are covered with black plastic tarps.
It's harder to get a full view of the south face, but it appears the beams are in place there, also.
If you are observant, you will notice that this was the first picture today.  It got snowier as I walked around.
 
I was curious about the doors after my last post, so today I determined to study them.
This is the northeast tower doorway.  If you look carefully, you will see there is actually no door.  
This is the northwest entrance.  Again, what I thought was a door is actually a door jamb.
Same on the southwest entrance.
I went back to an earlier picture I took this morning to see the southeast entrance, and again, this is a door jamb.  Certainly at this point I can safely assume these jambs will be preserved for the temple.
Notice the foundation work on the south side.
I've mentioned before that pictures can be deceptive, but the original stone and brick foundation is being completely removed and the walls supported with I-beams.
This is a view of the west side looking north to Center Street.
Notice that the west side elevation has been cut away.
This is a view of the east face from the southeast which shows the retaining wall between the tabernacle and University Avenue, with the same lower elevation.
This is a view of the north lot from University Avenue.  It has the same elevation as the west and east sides.
This retaining wall on the northwest edge of the property, between the tabernacle lot and the Nu Skin property, also has a retaining wall.  I believe underground parking will be built here.
This depressed area had not caught my attention before.  I believe the original baptistery was recovered after its excavation.  Pictures from this article confirm this.

No comments: