Pages

Monday, February 23, 2015

In Plain Sight

Yes, it's true!  The east side scaffolding came down late last week.
I'm told there is still a plan to use the upper construction entrance.  
This guy said he wasn't going to help.
There are beautiful things to see on the east side.
I have to work hard to not be overly partial to any one feature.
But put these two together...
And then add windows...
Even in an unfinished state, it's wonderful.
Technically, there is still some scaffolding on the steeple tower.  Not much longer, I am told.
Waterproofing is happening along the south side.
Last spring I was having a heart attack about the condition here.
This morning, I was smiling.  I'm pretty sure there are stairs under the concrete blanket, too.
I am a teeny bit concerned that the fountain is looking back at me.
But the pavilion, oh my, it's simply looking good.
My camera spied geofoam walls between the concrete fence posts along the right lower edge of this photo.  This is certainly all-purpose geofoam.
The south lot has undergone quite a transformation.
Just a year ago it was wide open.
Today, a lone welder leveled off piles above the underground wooden retaining walls.
It was 28 degrees.  My hands were cold, but I bet his weren't.
For the record, I really like all the new lamp posts.
Progress continues at the west corner entrance.  Masons are installing sandstone.  The handicapped ramp has been poured, but not the stairs.
Next year, if you happen to enter the grounds at this point, be sure to notice the crocuses planted in the nearby grass.  Actually, they are hard to miss.
Maybe some of us will use the ramp at Second South.
We  might even walk onto the temple grounds from Center Street, where the new sidewalk is now accessible.
However, there are not any actual entrances on the north side.
Even though there are now stairs.
After I left the site, I drove to one of Provo's historic homes, built at the same time the tabernacle was constructed.  This is the George Taylor House and it has a few Eastlake features.  In studying Eastlake architecture, I learned this particular home has a crosswing plan.  Notice the T-shape at the south side of the house, on the left.  
The original tabernacle was designed with this same type of crosswing architecture.
George was the son of an early pioneer who founded a popular furniture store. The store, named Taylor Brothers & Co., was on Center Street between Second and Third West.  This picture faces east along Center.  If you are wondering if you are actually seeing utility poles along the middle of Center Street, well, yes, you are.
George's son, Thomas, grew up to be a prominent businessman and church leader in Provo.  He built this house in 1904.  While Eastlake architecture was fading by the turn of the century, there are still some beautiful features, such as a fancy gable over the entrance.
The home also has a beautiful art glass window.
About the same time Thomas built his home, he directed the construction of the Third Ward Chapel, where he was the bishop.
There is another fancy gable.
The building is now owned by a school.  Notice the headless owl in the upper right opening.
It's purpose is to deter pigeons from enjoying the tower.
Towers and finials were in vogue at the turn of the century.
They still are.

1 comment:

Katy Jessop said...

Thanks for the update! I love reading your posts!