Pages

Friday, December 5, 2014

Stained Glass Window Cookies

Masons working hard on a gorgeous morning stirred up some dust.
Tall posts lined up to surround the north planter.  
I often see pipes which are there one day and gone the next, but the posts are here to stay.
This mason was placing quartzitic sandstone around gateposts.
Look closely, and you'll see a new art glass window in the northwest tower behind the mason.  I missed it this morning but saw it once I got home.
The southwest tower has also had a window addition since Tuesday.
I have been receiving some tutoring in art glass.  In the past, helpful people have tutored me in lift stations, roof structure, masonry terms and concrete.  I will confess these latest lessons have been quite enjoyable.
Notice this lower window has a different shape than the upper windows.
This is a photo of a tower window from the tabernacle before the fire.  The original windows were frosted fireglass.  In 1917 those windows were replaced with leaded glass.
The style of the art glass is Americanized Victorian.  Some symbolism is associated with the designs.  Notice the floral abstract at the bottom.  The shaft of a torch leads to the top.
My camera is doing his best to take pictures around the scaffolding as I am learning how to take pictures of windows which are better suited to be seen from the inside, but this is an abstract of a flame.
A flame can be symbolic of many things, such as the Holy Ghost, or divine knowledge.
This abstract at the bottom represents a shield, which could represent a shield of faith.
The abstract of the flower does not necessarily represent a specific plant, but is designed to bring to mind a lily, a lotus, or perhaps an iris, each of which have their own symbolic meanings.
This floral abstract came from one of the new windows on the north gable wall.  The petals flowing down could remind you of an iris.  Both the iris and the lily are symbols of the Mother of God.
As I have admired the new windows, I thought of a creation I have made in years past.
The same skill needed for the stained glass windows isn't required for these cookies. 
Candy is required.
I found Life Savers and this art candy in the back of a cupboard.  Jolly Ranchers also work.
I broke up the Life Savers with a small hammer I inherited from my engineer-father.  Use a gentle tap so you don't send candy shards all over your kitchen.  I covered the candy with a towel before I whacked it.
If you don't have cookie cutters, you can use the rim of a glass.
I assume you have a sugar cookie recipe.  If not, this is my favorite.
I dust my cutting board with powdered sugar when making cookies.
A quarter-inch thickness for the dough is good, otherwise, the little shapes might tear.
Cut the dough...
And then remove the excess, not the shapes.  Use a sharp knife to create a design inside the cookie.
I placed my cookies on parchment paper, but they will bake just fine on a greased cookie sheet.
Then, fill the cookies with candy.
It's ok to sample the candy as you are working.
My camera took a peek while the cookies baked.  I set my oven at 400 degrees and removed the baking sheet as soon as the candy was melted.  The cookies are easier to work with if they aren't brown.
There is only one tricky part, and that is removing the cookies from the baking sheet before the candy hardens and sticks.
This part of the process requires you to admire your handiwork...
All while watching the cookies cool.
As soon as the candy begins to harden...
Slide a pancake turner under the cookie.  Work quickly, or the candy will stick to the metal.
The candy will firm up as the cookies cool. 
With a sharp needle, you could run yarn through the top of the cookie and use these as Christmas ornaments, but pets have been known to eat these from the tree at my house.  As have children.  Maybe that's not actually a problem.
Now that we've had a little break, let's go back to the temple.  Notice the workmen up high.
Roofers are finishing the slate now that the scaffolding is down from the steeple base.
I am certain everyone will be happy once the roof is complete.
This crew has been working for two days at this upper level of the southwest tower.
Special care has been taken to not compromise the integrity of the building weather seal as the windows are installed
This man is placing flashing.
My camera zoomed in to see his work, but I got sidetracked with the beauty of the sandstone.
Work continues on the south lot. I noticed new forms south of the planter on this side.
These forms will support a decorative fence.
The remainder of the south lot is almost completely waterproofed.
As the geofoam is sculpted, it's covered with a black layer which will support dirt.
I would like to show you the fountain, but it was all covered up this morning.
The driveway to the underground garage now has a layer of rebar.  Hot water tubes for snow and ice will be placed here so we can drive in, not slide in.
The same type of hot water tubes have been placed on the stairs which lead to the surface from the underground garage.
It was a beautiful morning to walk around the construction site. 
I'll go as often as I can while the windows are being installed.
One by one, each window increases the beauty of the temple.
Yuki Dorff took this picture of the progress in the west lot.
There is progress everywhere.

6 comments:

David said...

I had the opportunity to visit the site when I was in town a month or so ago. I went to the post office side and noticed that the parking lot for the post office is "much" lower than the geofoam on the temple site. How is that supposed to work when it is all done? The entire temple site seems to be raised. Any explanation of this would be great!! :)

Julie Markham said...

I don't understand this well, either. The temple grounds will be high above the post office. I'll see what I can learn.

David said...

Glad I'm not the only one. :)

It gives me a little hope of "something" happening with the post office in the future.....

Unknown said...

I've wondered about that too. I think the explanation is that the ground surrounding the temple is not level, but slopes down to the West. If you look at Gooogle street view of 1st South, there are still some images of the pre-construction tabernacle. You can see that the tabernacle itself was already higher than the road. So my guess is that in the end the temple grounds will be level with University Ave, but this means a retaining wall is needed on the post-office side.

David said...

Deep down my secret hope is that the post office lot will someday be ours.......

then we can make sure it is level across the whole block...

Julie Markham said...

You are not alone in your hope.